Skip to main content

Vitamin D from the Tanning Bed

What is a Tanning bed?

The tanning bed is used to give a cosmetic tan by emitting ultraviolet radiation through the device. It's also known as a sunbed.  UV lamps produce UV radiations that contribute to faster melanin production. Tanning beds have levels from 1 to 6. Level 1 and level 2 have low-pressure bulbs while levels 3, 4, 5, and 6 have medium to high-pressure bulbs. Higher-level tanning beds tan skin faster and for a longer duration. They produce more UVA rays and lower UVB rays. UVA radiations specifically contribute to the bronze of the skin.

Vitamin D

Tanning bed and Vitamin D absorption:

Vitamin D plays an important role in regulating calcium and phosphate in the body. It's vital for facilitating the normal immune system. Apparently, people living in colder regions absorb Vitamin D by exposing themselves to sunshine but some of them also go for tanning beds in the hope to fulfill their Vitamin D requirements.

Tanning beds do not at all provide the amount of Vitamin D that is needed and using those beds for tanning is also not a safe option. Cells are damaged by ultraviolet rays; this process includes both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiations. When people use tanning beds so as to give skin a golden or bronze hue and aim to fulfil Vitamin D needs then they should know that exposing their skin to primarily UVA radiations can cause cell damage and premature skin ageing.

UVA radiations penetrate deep inside the skin and which leads to harming skin cells - causes skin cancer. The sun's rays are UVB, not UVA. The rays that contribute to Vitamin D are UVB. When the body absorbs UVB rays then it allows it to suck up Vitamin D from sun radiations. Therefore, this is advisable not to use tanning beds to absorb Vitamin D from them.

There are some claims that tanning beds emit a controlled amount of UV radiation, those claims are not wrong but such doses of radiation can be detrimental to the body. High-pressure sun lamps can receive 12 times the annual UVA doses as compared to sun exposure. According to the research, there are estimations of cancer-causing diabolical effects of 10 minutes of using tanning beds similar to the Mediterranean summer sun.

The risk factors are high and people should stop targeting Vitamin D from the tanning bed. Those beds can increase the risk of skin cancer by 75% for those who start using them before the age of 35. This skin cancer is the deadliest one and is known as melanoma. In this cancer, one notices a change in the appearance of moles or an increase in the appearance of moles.

Squamous cell carcinoma is a type of cancer and people who are using tanning beds for Vitamin D absorption are 2.5 times more likely to develop it. Also, 1.5 times more likely to grow another type of skin cancer known as basal cell carcinoma.

As it's clear how harmful tanning beds are. Using the tanning bed for Vitamin D is futile. Not only it can increase the chances of skin cancer but it can also give premature ageing like fine lines and wrinkles. UV radiations also have dreadful effects on the immune system.

The best ways to take Vitamin D are through foods, supplements, and sunshine. Check the post,' What are Vitamin D3 Benefits on your Skin, Hair & Health? (Cholecalciferol Benefits)'. This is advisable to wear sunscreen when exposed to direct sun rays for longer durations.

Are you on Pinterest? I have a board on  'Beauty & Health Tips' that you may like. For updates, you can check my Facebook page 'Health & Beauty Tips'.


https://smeh-beautytips.blogspot.com
This content is copyright protected.


Pin It:

Vitamin DVitamin D

Comments

  1. Great post, being outside in the sunshine not only tops up your vitamin D but it makes you feel so good. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative! I really hope people read this and take your advice about tanning beds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use tanning beds every now and again, usually before a vacation. Now, though, I don't ever see myself using them again. I prefer good ol' sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post. Tanning beds are so dangerous... they should be used really cautiously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've personally never tried a tanning bed and don't think I ever could. I've heard so many awful things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually just get outside for Vitamin D. I can't do tanning beds. I tend to get claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that they should put warnings all over the tanning salons about how dangerous the beds can potentially be. I wish I had known how high the risks were of developing skin cancer from tanning bed use when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. They should place a warning (but maybe they won't coz they might be worried of making the clients go away!). I don't need tanning, I'm Brown!

      Delete
  8. Very informative. I learned something new today. Thanks for sharing about Tanning Beds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanning beds have always scared me. I'll stick to my safer options lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a minute I thought you were recommending tanning beds for vitamin D! I'm so glad to read on and find out you are not. There is not substitute for sunshine! And a good diet with vitamin D supplements sunshine very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was in high school it was easier to go lay in a tanning bed. Now, having two boys I do not have time for that. So, we spend time outside playing to get our vitamin D. Having boys they would much rather be outside playing in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually avoid things that are artificial, I heard about tanning beds from my friends in the US and was told that it was effective in achieving their desired 'sunkissed skin'. I didn't know that it was this bad and that you could get cancer from it. Thank you for this informative post! Sending this to them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a tan year round so no need for a tanning bed. Good info to know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Helpful especially in this curfew of staying indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tanning beds should have warning labels on them. They are so bad for you. Plus, all you need is five minutes a day of even diffused or indirect sunlight to make your own vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good post. I've never been to a tanning bed, but I have many friends that have talked about loving them. I never really understood the appeal... I guess I never really worried about how tan I was, the joy was in spending time outside and enjoying the sunshine. So, why would I go out of my way to lay in fake sunshine if I can enjoy the real thing for free? lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Living in a colder climate, throughout my life growing up we always heard that you could get your vitamin D from tanning beds and I know I used to love to use them to stay tan all year. As we learned more about the dangers, I have since stopped using them and instead I take a liquid vitamin D each day which seems to do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went tanning for my wedding and that was it. I didn't want to be the same color as my dress. That was 15 years ago, and much has changed since then. I'm fair skinned and prone to burns. I don't really care to pay for tan skin. I love to be outside and that is all the sun I need.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, sunshine and foods are the best vitamin D sources.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know that tanning beds also produce vitamin D :) thank you for this post! Very informative

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wondered if there were actual benefits or not from tanning beds. I currently take vitamin D supplements because I'm lacking

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to go to tanning beds all the time when I was in my 20's. It's so bad for your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never used a tanning bed, they have always seemed very uncomfortable and now I definitely won't be using them! At the moment, a lot of my friends have resorted to buying Vit D supplements because they're not getting outside as much as they should be

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've tried to avoid tanning beds. To spend money to go and do something that I could do by going outside seems a little ridiculous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow. i havent actually tried tanning bed. but im curious about it. I only saw one in final destination movies. haha. this tanning bed producing vit D looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting and informative article to read. I have never tried using tanning bed and definitely not going to try it ever. I am not going to spend my money on something that will cause harm on my health. I am 100% with you that it still better to get the Vit D from the food you eat, supplements and of course from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nothing beats good old natural Sunshine! Too bad the world is staying in now, but we can't wait for the day we can all bask in the sun again. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen a tanning bed in the States but they don't have them here in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would never want to use a tanning bed. i have heard so many terrible things about them! but sunshine is ideal. i used to take a vitamin D supplementa spray and frankly sunshine and fresh food is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to be straight and completely honest: I would never, ever use a tanning bed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Was reading the other day about how badly everyone is missing out on vitamins D, this is so useful for helping with that

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never heard about tanning bed but now I have an Idea. Thanks for the honest review

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing this post. I have heard a lot about tanning bed and I will never want to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is the first time I'm hearing about a tanning bed. Good to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is important to get your vitamin D. I did not know about tanning beds and vitamin D. This is good informationšŸ¤—

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have heard a lot of bad things about tanning bed and it sounds bad for me. That's why I have no time to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with you about tanning beds, I knew someone who got skin cancer from using with regularly. But Vitamin D is really great when taken from foods.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I usually go with supplements

    ReplyDelete
  39. The best vitamin D is from the sun. Natural light is the best just dont overbake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment